Too lazy to tweet anything? There is a wonderful Firefox add-on called as HootBar which lets you to tweet easily and quickly from the browser’s address bar.
The Firefox add-on which is developed by HootSuit(it also allows to schedule tweets for future) allows to post tweets from address bar in Firefox with a single click. You can even handle more than one Twitter account with this utility. Installing this add-on adds a small Twitter icon to the address bar which helps to manage your tweets in various ways.
Using HootBar to tweet from address bar
1. You can download and install HootBar from
Update: This add-on is no longer available. You can use this add-on as an alternative of HootBar.
2. As soon as you install, it will add a new small icon to the Firefox address bar.
3. To post your tweets, just type your message in the address bar and click on the icon. You can also see how many characters are left for your post(learn how to post lengthy tweets).
4. It will ask for the authorization while posting the first tweet.
5. To connect your Twitter account with HootBar, enter your Twitter log-in information and click on ‘Allow’.
6. Wait for a while to start posting your message on Twitter. You don’t need to repeat the authorization procedure in the next times.
Customize the HootBar
- If you want to customize HootBar options then right-click on the icon and choose “Options”. Here you can set different settings.
- If you want to add a new account with it, just click on the ‘Add Account’ button and sigh in with another twitter account. Now whenever you try to post a new tweet it will ask to choose the account from a list of authorized accounts.
Control HootBar using special commands
HootBar also allows to control it with some short commands.
- If you want to post anything at Twitter from the address bar of your browser without touching the mouse then type the message and append
--postwith a space before it. You are done! Your message has been posted to your Twitter account. No need to hit the enter key
--optionswill open the ‘Options’ dialog box where you can choose the URL shortening service and many other things
--accountallows you to add multiple Twitter accounts
- If you’ve added multiple accounts then type your message by following this format:
Your message @twitterName --post
. This will post that message to the mentioned twitter account
Key Features of HootBar
- Post your tweet directly from your browser
- Tweet the page which you are browsing with a single click
- Manage multiple twitter accounts
If you are a Twitter addict then give it a try and put your feedback in the comment section.