Beside the fact that Windows 8 is rich with more social and interactive features, it is also one of the most safe and secure operating system to use. It won’t be an exaggeration if I call it as one of the safest Windows operating systems ever made. It is a very renowned fact that Microsoft is always concerned about the safety and security regimes in its operating system, may it be Windows 8 or the earlier versions. The Windows 8 is safe to use both online as well as offline.
Family Safety feature in Windows 8 is a perfect example to that. With this feature, you can monitor the standard user accounts on your computer. This feature gives you the detailed reports of all the activities done by various users on your system. In a nutshell, this safety feature in Windows 8 provides you more control over your system.
Being a mommy of two teenage sons, I usually have to be careful and attentive every time they use my laptop. I am using a Windows 8 operating system in my Sony Vaio laptop and thankfully there are a few settings in it which helps me putting the family safety filter in my laptop.
Cool Tip: Disable Auto Lock Windows 8.
I just activated Family Safety in my laptop while creating my kid’s account here, and now I get the weekly reports of all the activities done by my sons on my PC. Well, if you haven’t done it already, you can turn the Family Safety feature ON now for the entire list of users on your system. This feature requires just a simple click on a check box and nothing else.
Here is the tutorial with detailed screenshots.
How to setup Family Safety in Windows 8
1. If you haven’t yet created the user account for your child, you can turn on the safety feature while creating the account. Creating an account is Windows 8 is pretty simple. Just go to the Control Panel and click on ‘User Accounts’. Set up a new account using your child’s email id. You can use any of his/her email ID to create the local account. Just follow the instructions and you are set with a new account for your child.
2. In the last step, you will get a check box saying ‘Is this a child’s account? Turn on Family Safety to get reports of their PC use’. Just click the check box and be ready get the activity report of your child. Furthermore, you can also set the time limits, web filtering, games restrictions and app restrictions for the child accounts.
How to configure the Family Safety in Windows 8
1. Click on your child’s account in Control Panel of your Windows 8 PC, and you will get a new pop up window to set the Family Safety feature accordingly.
2. Here you can set the web filtering level and can also add or block the specific websites for your child.
3. From the ‘Time Limits’ option, you can set the time regimes when your child can use the PC. You can also set the time allowance and curfew through the time limit settings. With these settings you can set the maximum hours for your child as well as whether he/she can use your PC on weekdays or on Weekends.
4. The ‘Windows Store and Game Restrictions’ allows to set the Windows store apps and games you want your child to use. Use this to select exactly what programs you want the user to use.
‘App Restrictions’ option allows you to select exactly which apps in Windows 8 the user can use.
This is a perfect solution to keep an eye on every user using your PC, even if the account is password protected. I am happy after activating the Family Safety in Windows 8 as I can always check the activity report of how my children actually uses my computer. Do leave your comments about the efficacy and usefulness of this feature.