Reset Windows 7 Password Without Password Reset Disk – Forgot Windows 7 password? Or, someone else who used your computer changed the login password?
In both cases, you’re helpless if you do not have any Windows 7 password reset disk. The only option left for you is to install the operating system again.
As it requires formatting, you’ll loose all your data saved at your hard disk. This article is about How to Reset Windows 7 Password without password reset disk or reinstalling the OS.
In addition, you need to keep your patience during this Windows 7 password reset process. Some steps need lot of time and you have to just wait and wait.
How to Reset Windows 7 Password Reset Disk
Power on the computer and the Windows 7 should start. Now, when it displays “Starting Windows” long press the power button to force the system shutdown. Windows 7 will treat this as a start up fault and try to recover from the error. Don’t worry! We’re moving in the right direction according to our planning.
- Firstly, restart your computer and you should get into the Error Recovery window. Select the ‘Launch Startup Repair (Recommended)’ option and hit ‘Enter’.
- The startup repair wizard appears and the system starts checking for the problem.
- As there is no real problem, it can’t find any solution and suggests to use system restore. But, this time, we are not going to use it. Click the ‘Cancel’ button.
- Now, the Windows 7 attempts to repair the problems automatically. This takes several minutes. So, wait and wait. As there is no problem, Windows will end up with a message stating that “Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically”. Now click the button as shown in the picture below to view the problem details.
- Scroll down to the end of the problem details section and click the link to read the local privacy statement as shown in the picture.
- This opens the local privacy statement into a notepad document. You’re not going to read the privacy statement any way. What you need is to search and open some system files using the notepad.
- Select File > Open from the notepad menu bar.
- Naturally, the ‘Open’ dialog window appears. Select ‘Local Disk’ from the ‘Look in’ drop-down menu.
- Now, go to the Windows > System32 folder and change the file type to ‘All Files’.
- Here, find out the file named as sethc, select it and press the F2 key to rename the file. Give the name as sethc_bak.
- Similarly, search for the application file named cmd at the same location and once found, right-click on it and select ‘Copy’. Now, right-click on an empty space and select ‘Paste’. Another file named as cmd – Copy is created at the same location.
- Rename the file ‘cmd – Copy’ to sethc. You are almost done.
- Once done, cancel all the opened windows and finally, click the ‘Finish’ button at the ‘Startup Repair’ dialog window.
Finally, your computer will reboot as usual and the log-in screen will appear. Press the ‘Shift’ key for five times. Voila! The command prompt opens without getting logged into the system. Now, you can use this command prompt to reset Windows 7 password.
Reset Windows 7 Password using the Command Prompt
Now you are a step away from resetting the password in Windows 7. At first run the following command to see the exact user names at the computer.
This will show the list of users in the computer. Choose the username for which you want to reset the password.
Now run the following command to reset the password.
net user <user_name> *
Replace the <user_name> with your own. Type your new password and retype it to confirm.
You’ve successfully reset Windows 7 password without any Windows 7 password reset disk. You can now log into the Windows 7 system with the user name and the new password.
Note: After logging in, you would want to get back the original sethc file. Repeat Step One to Step Seven, delete the “sethc” file and rename “sethc_bak” to “sethc”. It will not make any change into the Windows 7 password reset task.
Also check: How To Recover Wi-Fi Network Password in Windows 7 or Windows 8.
Alternative Method to Reset Password in Windows 7/8/10 Without Password Reset Disk
If you don’t want to take the pain of changing Windows 7 password manually then trying some password recovery software would help you reset password if you don’t have any reset CD or disk. I have tried a few number of software and found iSeePassword Windows Password Recovery tool as the best. This is very effective tool for those who want to get back to their lost password. The best thing about this software is that not only Windows 7 but also you can reset password of Windows 8, Windows 10, XP/Vista and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008/2012 as well.
What you need to do is to prepare a password reset disk(USB/CD/DVD) using this tool. Once you’ve successfully done that, boot your computer from that reset disk, locate your account and click the reset button to get your computer unlocked.
How to Prepare Password Reset Disk Free To Recover Password in Windows 7 (Both home and ultimate edition)
- Download the program and install in any computer with administrator login. Once installed, run the program as administrator (right-click on the shortcut icon choose “Run as Administrator”).
- Prepare the password resetUSB disk using this tool. Though you can do the same in a CD or DVD. When you start the program, it prompts for the media type you want to make the recovery disk. Here, I will show the example for the USB drive. So, click the USB Device button and following screen will appear.
- Select the USB drive from the drop-down list and click the “Burn USB” button. This will start writing the image file to the USB device. After completing the process it will show the success message in a pop up box indicating that your USB drive is ready to use.
- Insert the USB drive to the password-locked computer and boot your computer. Set the boot priority from your computer BIOS in order to boot from USB drive.
- Finally, once the computer is booted from the USB drive, the password recovery process starts. Select the target user and press the “Reset” button.
That’s it. Do you know any other technique to Reset Windows 7 Password? – Do share with us.