I am a great fan of Firefox as it is fast, modern and it supports all type of web standard. And the good thing of Firefox is that tons of addon are available to meet your need. Every day the developers are developing new addons according to the requirement of users.
Recently, Firefox has been upgraded to a new version which offers better browsing speed and organized features. While, I was happy to enjoy the new look as well as the features of the new version, I was bit upset when I tried to install the addons that I used in the previous version. I did not make them out to install in Firefox 4.
Beside me, almost every Firefox user have their own bunch of addons according to their requirements. But some of those addons may not work in Firefox for compatibility issue.
Actually firefox performs a checking before installation of any addon or extension to be sure that the addon will work properly with the version. This feature in Firefox prevents you from using the older addons in the newer version.
But still there is an opportunity to use the older addons in Firefox 4. Let us see how the concern can be achieved from this step-by-step guide.
How to run the incompatible addons in Firefox 4
In Firefox 4, we’ll apply a little trick such that the browser does not perform the compatibility test before installing any addon. For that:
1. Open Firefox version-4 and type the following command at the address bar and then hit the “Enter” key.
2. As soon as you do that, it will prompt a message saying “This might void your warranty”; which also alerts you that your browser may loss stability, performance etc. Simply ignore this message and click on the button saying “I’ll be careful, I promise!”.
3. This takes you into a page which contains a list of variables used internally by the Firefox. Make sure that you do not make any change on any of the variables. Here we will add another attribute by adding an extra row.
4. Right-click on any empty space of the page and select New > Boolean from the context menu.
5. A message box appears asking you to enter the preference name. In the name area, put the following line and click on OK button.
6. Another box appears with two options: false and true. Set false as the value of this preference and click OK.
7. You should see a new row has been created there. Close the tab.
I recommend to restart your browser after completing the above modifications. Now you are free to install any addon in Firefox 4.0. They should work fine.
But if you still get some problem with the old addons, it means that the function references of that addons are not supported by Firefox 4.o. Wait for some days, the addon developer should be updating the functions for the new version.