Here we’ll provide you with some simple, alterable, and user controlled tweaks which would improve your browsing speed in Mozilla Firefox immensely. Just follow the easy-going steps described below to enter into a world where faster web surfing is the need.
How to Speed up Firefox
Open Mozilla Firefox and type in “about:config” in the address bar of your Firefox browser and press ENTER.
A warning appears immediately that ‘This might void your warranty’ and any change to the settings may be harmful to the stability, security and performance of the application. Just click on ‘I’ll be careful, I promise!’ to proceed on.
The configuration settings of Mozilla opens up. Here, we have to select some settings, change them of their default values to enter new ones which prove to boost up the speed of Firefox. Firstly select ‘network.http.max-connections-per-server’. Right click on this setting and choose to ‘Modify’.
The modification box opens up prompting you to enter a new value for the setting. Put 32 as the new value and click OK. The value for the setting ‘network.http.max-connections-per-server’ has been changed.
Now select the following settings one by one to modify them by inserting the following values mentioned for each of the settings to be modified. The process of modifying these settings is the same as the previous one.
- network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy :—> 16.
- network.http.max-connections :—> 64.
- network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server :—> 10.
- network.http.pipelining :—> true [Right click and select "Toggle" to change status].
- network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy – >8.
- network.http.proxy.pipelining –> true.
- network.http.request.timeout –> 300 (if it is not in the list you can do this creating new integer preference).
- network.http.pipelining.maxrequests :—> 200
- network.http.request.max-start-delay :—> 0
- network.http.proxy.pipelining :—> true
- network.http.proxy.version :—> 1.0
The default values of the above mentioned settings appear in bold showing that they have been changed with new values inserted by the user.
Now, how about reducing the time Firefox takes to act on an information after it receives one. This would definitely speed up the action and rendering process of Firefox. To achieve this, right-click on an empty area in the ‘about:config’ tab. Select New>Integer to create a new settings file.
Name it as ‘nglayout.initialpaint.delay’.
Set its value as o. This value signifies the time Firefox takes to start its action on reception of data. Click OK to create the new integer.
Free up Memory in Firefox to boost the speed
The newer versions of Firefox allocate memory separately for the add-ons so that the browser does not crash if any plugin or add-on stops responding.
The process, plugin-container.exe is responsible for the extra memory allocation. Which may be causing the slow browsing. It is better to disable the plugin-container.exe to free up the extra memory.
How to Permanently Disable Plugin-container.exe Process
All the workaround has been described below in step-by-step.
1. Type “about:config” at the browser address bar and press Enter.
2. Click on ‘I will be careful, I promise’.
3. Type ‘dom.ipc’ in the filter bar and you will be finding the entries listed below.
4. Now you have to change the Boolean values except the last one. To do that right-click on each entries and click ‘Toggle’. This will toggle the value from ‘True’ to ‘False’ and vice-versa.
5. Change the vale of ‘dom.ipc.plugins.enabled’ to ‘false’. You may also toggle all the boolean values to ‘false’. After changing the values as directed above the entries should look like this:
That is, all of the boolean values will be False.
You are done! Now close Firefox and restart it. Check the task manager by pressing Alt + Ctrl + Del. It should not show the plugin-container.exe process there.
Exit and restart Firefox. Experience a never before surfing and browsing speed in Mozilla Firefox. Boosted by some merely simple tweaks, the increased speed of Firefox clearly helps the user to utilize his time more effectively.
In an age where the process of communication involves broadband and 3G technologies, the prime need of the hour seems to be speeding up this communication process. The Web, among all other data communication processes, has become the most participating feature in realizing this goal. With every new version of internet browsers, be it IE8 or Mozilla Firefox. Mozilla Firefox has emerged out of the shadows of IE8 to become its potentially challenging rival. Because of its browsing and surfing speed, Firefox has become the browser that is used globally by users.
Increasing the speed of Mozilla Firefox not only takes you to a new level of browsing experience, but also contributes to the development of technology and data communication as a whole.