Facebook launched two step verification for Facebook accounts and this feature is called Facebook “Login Approvals”. This is a follow-up security update regarding Facebook Login from Facebook. They have already integrated Facebook login email alerts to get notification emails or SMS messages whenever a suspicious person uses your Facebook account from a different location.
But that feature is not enough to ensure your account’s security and that is why Facebook has launched “Login Approvals“. This feature is very similar with Google 2-step verification which associates a mobile device with your Facebook account and authenticates the login by sending a verification code at your mobile phone device.
You can setup Android, iPhone, smart phones or any simple mobile phone to receive the verification code. Once you setup the secondary device for the Login Approvals, make sure that you never lose your device. Otherwise you will be unable to use your Facebook account.
Follow the simple steps to setup Facebook Login Approvals for your Facebook account.
1. Go to Account settings after logging into your account (click on the “Account” link from right-hand-top corner of your account page and then select “Account settings”).
2. Under the Settings tab, scroll down to “Account security” and click on the “Change” link.
3. Under the “Account security” option enable the Login Approvals by selecting the check box saying “Require me to enter a security code sent to my phone”. Note: You must have activated mobile phone in your Facebook account to get this option.
4. An overlay box appears and simply click on the Next button.
5. The next step asks you to confirm the access of your phone by sending a verification code at your secondary device or phone. Grab the verification code and press the Next button after entering the code. Though you can request a new verification code if you did not receive it in your device or phone where you want to get it.
6. Once Facebook successfully recognize the device, it will start to send the authentication code whenever you attempt to login to your Facebook account. Now, you will have to enter that code along with the username and password for every Facebook login, otherwise you won’t be able to login to your account.
Caution: It is mandatory that you always have your device or phone that is connected with your Facebook account with you. If you lose your device, you will lose your Facebook account.
Facebook Login Approvals ensures that if any one manages to crack your Facebook username and password, he will still need to pass the secondary stage of authentication by providing the code sent into your secondary device. As a result, he will fail to get into your account. So, always keep your mobile or the device away from a third-party for safety of your Facebook account.
What happens if you lose the access of your phone?
The Google’s 2-step verification process lets you to get back the access of your Google account by some special methods in case of you lose your phone. They provides some printable versions of authentication codes to back up in emergency situations. Unlike the Google, Facebook has no such option to get back your Facebook account if you lose the access of your phone.
Sometime it happens that some one steals your phone or you forget that elsewhere – that means you’ve lost your Facebook account.
So, there is a request to the Facebook authority from myself on behalf of all the readers of Oxhow.Com and the Facebook users that they should keep an option for re-authentication of the Login Approvals enabled accounts. Also get to know on how to Setup Facebook video call.